“The musical tradition of the universal Church is a treasure of inestimable value, greater even than that of any other art. . .In the Latin Church the pipe organ is to be held in high esteem, for it is the traditional musical instrument which adds a wonderful splendor to the Church’s ceremonies, and powerfully lifts up man’s mind to God and to higher things.” (Constitution of the Sacred Liturgy, Article 112 and 120)
The Cathedral of St. Joseph has two organs. The Gallery Organ, originally an E. & G. G. Hook & Hastings, is located in the Choir Gallery in a chamber decorated with a golden pipe façade. The second organ is located in the Cathedral’s Blessed Sacrament Chapel, and is a one manual E.& G.G. Hook & Hastings. Descriptions and stop lists may be found below:
- Cathedral Gallery Organ: E.&G.G. Hook & Hastings (1869, Op. 475). Originally two
manuals, it was electrified by William Laws, c. 1950. In 2002, it was modified and digitally enlarged to encompass three manuals and pedal. The work was carried out by Marshall Ogeltree & Associates, Needham, Massachusetts.
- Blessed Sacrament Chapel Organ: E.&G.G. Hook & Hastings (1869, Op. 500)
Unaltered one manual, 8 rank and pedal organ. Organ relocated from Orange, MA. Originally built for the Universalist Church [When replaced by a Johnson in 1893?]. Date of relocation is unknown.